- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar (if desired)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter (or vegetable oil)
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Grease corn stick pan with oil and place in the oven while making the batter.
- In mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and soda; stir to blend. If you like your cornbread a little sweeter, add the 1 tablespoon of sugar. In another bowl whisk together the egg, milk, and melted butter or oil; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into the preheated corn stick pan, filling each mold about 3/4 full. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool 5 minutes then carefully remove from pan. Brush with melted butter, if desired. Makes about 18 corn sticks, or more if using a mini corn stick pan.
- If you don't have a corn stick pan, this recipe should make about 12 muffins baked in greased or sprayed (cooking oil spray) muffin cups. Bake at the same temperature for about 20 to 25 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|