|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 12 to 16 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 33g||42%|
|Saturated Fat 17g||83%|
|Total Carbohydrate 75g||27%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This is a rich cream cheese pound cake, baked in a Bundt cake pan or tube cake pan.
I've included two possible glazes — cream cheese glaze and vanilla glaze — but feel free to use another icing or dust the cake with powdered sugar instead. The pound cake would be wonderful with fresh strawberry or blueberry sauce or a lemon dessert sauce.
For something a little different, use slices to make this pound cake French toast. It's amazing!
- 1 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese (room temperature)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (sifted before measuring, about 13 1/2 ounces)
- 6 large eggs (room temperature*)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- For the Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk (or juice)
- For the Vanilla Glaze:
- 4 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk (or hot water)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat the oven to 325 F.
- Generously grease and flour a 10-inch one-piece tube cake pan or Bundt cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and shortening until creamy.
- With the electric mixer on medium speed, gradually beat in the granulated sugar. Continue beating for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the 8 ounces of cream cheese until well blended.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour and 1 teaspoon of vanilla; beat just until well blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared 10-inch tube pan or Bundt cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated 325 F oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert the cake onto a rack to cool completely.
- To glaze the cake, place wax paper or parchment under the rack.
Cream Cheese Glaze
In a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the 1/2 cup of powdered sugar with the 4 ounces of cream cheese until well blended. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and about 3 tablespoons of milk or juice, or enough to make a thin icing that can be drizzled over the cooled cake.
Plain Vanilla Glaze
In a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat 1/4 cup of softened butter with 2 cups of powdered sugar. Beat in 1 teaspoon of vanilla and then beat in 2 to 4 tablespoons of milk or hot water, or enough to make a thin icing.
*To get the eggs to room temperature quickly, place them in a bowl of hot tap water and let them stand for about 5 minutes.