The green bean casserole has long been a favorite comfort food and it is an essential Thanksgiving side dish. The original recipe was introduced in the mid-1950s by the Campbell Soup Company, and the original recipe card can be found in the National Inventors Hall of Fame in Akron, Ohio.
This is a delicious green bean casserole, perfect for a holiday feast or Sunday family dinner. The homemade cheddar cheese sauce with sour cream and mushrooms is an excellent replacement for the canned condensed soup and it is as creamy and delicious as the classic Campbell's recipe. If you prefer the soup version, take a look at this classic holiday green bean casserole.
- 4 cups cooked green beans (cut or French-cut)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups (6 to 8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Optional: 1 cup soft breadcrumbs tossed with 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- Optional: Parmesan cheese
- Optional: 1 to 1 1/2 cups French fried onions
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add mushrooms and onion; saute, stirring, until mushrooms are browned and onions are tender.
Stir in flour, salt, and pepper, stirring until flour is mixed into the fat. Gradually stir in the milk. Continue cooking, stirring, until slightly thickened.
Add the cheddar cheese, sour cream, and drained green beans to the thickened sauce and then spoon into the prepared baking dish.
If desired, sprinkle with a few tablespoons of shredded or grated Parmesan cheese.
Sprinkle the buttered breadcrumbs over the top of the casserole or top with French fried onions, if using.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until bubbly and browned.
If you like, top the casserole with more buttered breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese or use the traditional French fried onions.
Serve and enjoy!
- Use about 1 1/2 pounds of fresh or frozen green beans or about three 15-ounce cans, drained.
- Add 1 small can (drained) of sliced water chestnuts to the casserole for some extra crunch.
- Add a few tablespoons of crumbled bacon to the sauce mixture or sprinkle it over the top of the casserole before adding the bread crumbs or fried onions.