|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Total Carbohydrate 2g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This ham salad recipe is easy to prepare in a food processor or small food chopper, but can also be minced by hand. It's a great way to use the holidays' leftover ham without going back to the same old recipes.
Add sweet pickle relish or finely chopped pickles to flavor the ham, hard-cooked eggs, and a generous dollop of creamy mayonnaise for an amazing salad that's good on sandwiches or crunchy lettuce. Add more crunchy veggies like sweet red bell peppers, or finely chopped jicama, tart apples, or yellow carrots.
Click Play to See This Southern Ham Salad Recipe Come Together
Use it to fill mini sandwich buns, croissants, biscuits, or small rolls that are perfect for baby showers, parties, or game-day gatherings. Pack it in an airtight container and bring it to a picnic, potluck or BBQ. Stuff baked potatoes with the salad and top with shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream and chopped chives. For lunch or dinner, serve the ham-salad sandwiches with a cup of soup, a tossed salad, potato chips, or French fries.
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups ham (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickles (finely chopped, or sweet pickle relish)
- Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (freshly ground, to taste)
- 1 large egg (hard-cooked and finely chopped)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (finely chopped)
Gather the ingredients.
In a medium bowl, mix together the chopped ham, celery, and onion.
Add the mayonnaise and mix until well moistened, adding more if necessary.
Add chopped sweet pickles or sweet pickle relish, salt, pepper, chopped hard-cooked egg, and optional chopped parsley. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serve the ham salad on lettuce leaves or mixed salad greens or use it as a filling for sandwiches.
Additional Ingredients and Substitutions
- Replace the sweet pickle relish with dill relish or chopped dill pickles.
- Add a dash of Cajun seasoning for a little extra zing.
- Add 1 teaspoon of hot sauce or a sprinkle of chili flakes to add some spiciness.
- For a less caloric dressing, replace the mayonnaise with the same amount of full-fat Greek yogurt, plus 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1 cup of cubed and peeled cooked potatoes to make a heartier preparation.
- Add 2 cups of cooked short pasta, and add olive oil, fresh lemon juice, and 2 additional tablespoons of mayo to make a delicious pasta salad.
- Blind bake discs of puff pastry in muffin tins until golden brown to make mini pastry baskets that you can fill with the salad alongside roasted vegetables.
- Fill hot dog buns with the salad and serve with a side of homemade yuca chips.