This ham salad recipe is super easy to prepare in a food processor, small food chopper or minced by hand. Best of all, it's a great way to use leftover ham that always seems to multiply by itself at holiday time.
Sweet pickle relish or finely chopped pickles flavor the ham perfectly and a chopped hard-cooked egg adds a certain something but feels free to leave it out if you desire.
In addition to being eaten as is on a lettuce-lined plate, it also makes a nice filling for lunchbox sandwiches and appetizers. Use it to fill mini sandwich buns, croissants, biscuits, or small rolls that are perfect for baby showers, parties, or game-day gatherings.
For lunch or dinner, serve the sandwiches with a cup of soup, a tossed salad, potato chips, or French fries. If you're on a low-carb regimen, mound the sandwich filling onto mixed salad greens or romaine lettuce leaves.
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups ham (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise (or more, to moisten)
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickles (finely chopped, or sweet pickle relish)
- Salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 large egg (hard-cooked and finely chopped)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chopped ham, celery, and onion.
- Add the mayonnaise and mix until well-moistened, adding more if necessary.
- Add chopped sweet pickles or sweet pickle relish, salt, and pepper to taste, chopped hard-cooked egg, and optional chopped parsley. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve the ham salad on lettuce leaves or mixed salad greens or use it as a filling for sandwiches.
- The sweet pickle relish can be replaced with dill relish or chopped dill pickles if you prefer a less sweet filling.
- Add a dash of Cajun seasoning for a little extra zing.
- Omit the hard-cooked egg or add more than one to stretch this recipe, if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|