I did it. I developed the closest thing to a chick-fil-a sandwich that's ever existed. Its got that sweet, buttery and crisp fried chicken flavor that's so reminiscent of this southern fast food favorite. The toasted potato bun is light and airy and the pickles help cut through the richness of the sandwich. If you don't have a chick-fil-a near you... or you do but don't want to contribute to their not-so-friendly ways, then this recipe is for you!
Don't forget, soaking the chicken in buttermilk is essential! Not only does it help flavor the chicken throughout, but it also helps it from drying out!
- 1 chicken breast (sliced in half)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt (more for finishing)
- Optional: 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 2 potato buns
- 1 tsp. butter (salted)
- 4 dill pickle chips
- 3 cups peanut oil (or enough for submerged frying)
1. Begin by brining the chicken. In a ziplock bag, add buttermilk, pickle juice, and chicken. Seal and refrigerate for up to 48 hours. I've found the best most succulent results from a 48 hour brine, but a 24 hour brine will do just fine if you don't have time.
2. After the chicken has brined, heat your oil to around 350-360 degrees. As the oil is heating, sift your flour into a shallow dish and mix in the salt and powdered sugar if desired.
Remove the chicken from the brine and allow excess liquid to fall off. Dip the brined chicken breasts into the flour so that it has a light coating on the exterior. Add the chicken to the hot oil and fry until golden brown and cooked through. Let chicken rest on a paper towel to help absorb excess grease and finish with a sprinkle of salt salt.
3. As the chicken is frying, add butter to small skillet and toast the potato buns interior until golden and fragrant.
4. Once the chicken is fried and the buns have toasted, simply add the buttermilk fried chicken to the toasted potato buns and top with pickles. Serve immediately.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||372 g|
|Saturated Fat||70 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||169 g|
|Dietary Fiber||13 g|