This is a classic Southern sweet potato pie made with a rich sweet potato filling. It's a spectacular pie for a holiday dinner, especially when it's topped with a layer of miniature marshmallows!
It's often a good idea to bake the pie crust for these types of cooked pies because they tend to underbake and become soggy if you skip that step. It's not absolutely necessary, but it is recommended.
- 1 unbaked pastry shell, 9-inch (partially baked, if desired)
- 3 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Optional: miniature marshmallows
- If desired, partially bake the pie shell. For a frozen or store-bought pie crust, see the package instructions. For homemade, line the pie shell with a sheet of foil or parchment paper. Don't prick the dough.
- Add pie weights, dry beans, or uncooked rice to about two-thirds full. Bake it in a preheated 425 F (220 C/Gas 7) oven for about 15 minutes, or just until it begins to color.
- Remove it to a rack and carefully remove the foil or paper and the pie weights. Let it cool completely before you fill it.
- Reduce the oven heat to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Combine the hot mashed sweet potatoes and butter in a large mixing bowl; mix well.
- Add the granulated sugar and eggs; blend with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth.
- Add milk and spices. Blend well and pour into the pie shell.
- Bake at 350 F for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the filling is firm.
- If desired, top with a layer of miniature marshmallows the last 8 to 10 minutes of baking time and bake sweet potato pie until golden brown.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|