This crockpot chicken stew is easy to make, with frozen chicken breast strips, onion, peppers, tomatoes, and other ingredients.
- 1 package of frozen grilled chicken breast strips, about 2 cups
- 1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped coarsely
- Optional: 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers or other green hot pepper, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- Optional: 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup converted rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano leaves
- Dash of cayenne pepper, if desired
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cornmeal, mixed with a tablespoon of cold water
Combine all ingredients, except for the cornmeal/water mix, in the slow cooker or crock pot.
Cover and cook on low for 6 1/2 to 8 hours, or on high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
To thicken, stir in the cornmeal and water mixture into the stew during the last 10 or 15 minutes.