|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Southwestern seasonings make this a flavorful casserole the whole family will enjoy.
Prepare the casserole earlier in the day and refrigerate until it's time to bake.
Related Recipe: Cottage Pie
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno peppers, or diced mild chile peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (about 12 to 15 ounces) corn with peppers, drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced, about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan (2 1/2 to 3-quart size).
Heat oven to 350 F.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
When the oil is hot and shimmering, add the ground beef, onions, and celery.
Cook until beef is browned and vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
Add garlic and peppers; cook, for about 1 minute longer, stirring frequently.
Stir in the tomatoes, chili powder, salt, pepper, and cumin. Bring to a simmer.
In the prepared baking dish, arrange half of the sliced potatoes, then top with half of the corn, half of the ground beef mixture, and half of the cheese.
Repeat the layers, ending with the remaining cheese.
Cover the baking dish tightly with foil and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.