Southwestern seasonings make this a flavorful casserole the whole family will enjoy.
Prepare the casserole earlier in the day and refrigerate until it's time to bake.
Related Recipe: Cottage Pie
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno peppers, or diced mild chile peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (about 12 to 15 ounces) corn with peppers, drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced, about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan (2 1/2 to 3-quart size).
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot and shimmering, add the ground beef, onions, and celery.
- Cook until beef is browned and vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and peppers; cook, for about 1 minute longer, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chili powder, salt, pepper, and cumin. Bring to a simmer.
- In the prepared baking dish, arrange half of the sliced potatoes, then top with half of the corn, half of the ground beef mixture, and half of the cheese.
- Repeat the layers, ending with the remaining cheese.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with foil and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||42 g|
|Saturated Fat||20 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||24 g|