|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Main dish casseroles are always convenient, in large part because of the intermingling of flavors. And the fact that there are fewer dishes to wash doesn't hurt!
Spaghetti, ground beef, and tomatoes team up with cheese in this super easy casserole. A melted cheese topping makes this a fantastic meal. Serve this tasty one-pot spaghetti meal with garlic bread and a simple tossed salad.
- 3 large onions (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans tomatoes
- 1 (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms (with liquid)
- 1 (4.25-ounce) can chopped ripe olives
- 16 ounces shredded mild cheddar cheese (or a blend of cheddar and mozzarella)
- 1 pound spaghetti (cooked according to package directions)
- Garnish: grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 375 F.
In a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven, slowly cook the onions in the oil and butter for about 10 minutes, or until tender and golden, stirring frequently.
Add the garlic, bell pepper, and ground beef, breaking up the beef with a fork. Cook, stirring, until the beef is no longer pink. Add the tomatoes; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the mushrooms and olives; cook for about 5 minutes longer and then stir in one-half to three-quarters of the shredded cheese. Add the cooked spaghetti to the beef mixture and mix well. Transfer to a large greased casserole or lasagna pan.
Sprinkle the spaghetti mixture with the remaining shredded cheese and the grated Parmesan cheese; bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.