|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 39g||50%|
|Saturated Fat 24g||122%|
|Total Carbohydrate 61g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
|Total Sugars 54g|
|Vitamin C 74mg||368%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Spaghettieis is a fun ice cream sundae created by Dario Fontanella, son of an Italian immigrant and owner of an ice cream parlor in Mannheim, Germany, in 1969. Since then, it has been a German specialty but is virtually never seen outside of Germany.
The original method called for pressing vanilla ice cream through a spaetzle press, but it's unlikely you'll find one in the U.S. Using a potato ricer is an alternative method. Pressing ice cream through a potato ricer creates "noodles," strawberry sauce looks like tomato sauce, and coconut or white chocolate shavings play the Parmesan cheese role.
Serve it to your kids—and adults—as a whimsical and unique treat.
1 pound fresh strawberries
3 tablespoons orange juice
1/4 cup sugar, divided
1 cup whipping cream
4 cups vanilla ice cream
3 tablespoons shaved white chocolate, or coconut shreds
Prepare the Strawberry Sauce
Gather the ingredients.
Cut strawberries in half or quarters, and place in a blender.
Add orange juice and 2 tablespoons of the sugar, and blend until smooth. Add a little more juice or sugar to taste, if needed.
Refrigerate until very cold, or up to one day.
Assemble the Sundaes
Gather the ingredients.
Whip cold whipping cream until soft peaks form.
Add remaining sugar to taste, and beat until stiff.
Place a dollop of whipped cream onto each plate or sundae cup.
Use an extra plate to hold the potato ricer, and scoop about 1 cup of ice cream into it.
Holding ricer over sundae plate, squeeze ice cream through holes, and swirl it onto plate, over whipped cream. Repeat for other plates.
- Creamier ice cream makes better-shaped "noodles." In Germany, vanilla gelato would be used. Buy the best quality ice cream you can find, or buy gelato, if that's possible.
- The whipped cream freezes a little under the ice cream and makes a crackly crust, which some people really like, but you can omit the whipped cream if you wish.
- You can use bottled strawberry sauce.
- If you want to make this sundae even more elaborate, add chocolate "meatballs." You could use homemade truffles or malted milk balls to fill this role in a spaghetti and meatballs sundae.
- Serve with shortbread, white chocolate chip, or sugar cookies to mimic Italian bread.