|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 31g||39%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||38%|
|Total Carbohydrate 25g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This Spanish chicken soup (Sopa de Pollo con Fideos) is a typical first course in Spanish households, regardless of the region, and you are sure to be served a chicken soup with either noodles or rice if you visit a Spanish family for any length of time. This soup is perfect for those cold winter evenings when you need something to warm you from the inside out.
What makes this recipe so delicious and good for you is that instead of using store-bought chicken broth that is laden with too much fat or sodium, a whole chicken is used with the skin on and the bones in. Using the chicken skin and bones offers much more flavor and added nutrients, making this soup especially good for you when you have a cold coming on.
Ladle up a bowl of this delicious soup and grab a chunk of homemade Pan Basico bread for dipping.
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 cup yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 chicken backs (skin on and bone-in)
- 6 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/5 pound angel hair pasta
- Salt (to taste)
Gather the ingredients.
Peel and coarsely chop vegetables.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, garlic, and vegetables, and sauté them for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the chicken backs to the pan. Brown the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add water and bay leaves. Simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Salt to taste. The chicken will be soft and practically falling off the bones.
Remove chicken from the pot, and separate the skin and bones.
Return pieces of chicken meat back into the soup pot. Add oregano and give a good stir.
Bring soup to a fast boil. Break dry noodles in half and add noodles to soup.
Cook until noodles are done. Serve while hot.
- Some Sopa de Pollo con Fideos recipes include potatoes, so don't be afraid to throw some in. You can use white or sweet potatoes.
- Add other vegetables, if you desire, such as corn, green beans, etc.
How to Store and Freeze
- This chicken noodle soup can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for three to four days.
- Go ahead and freeze it for up to six months. Just let it cool down, and put in a freezer-safe container. When ready to eat, put it in the refrigerator the night before to defrost.