There are thousands of different "tapas" in Spain - both hot and cold. Fried almonds or "almendras fritas" can be eaten warm just after frying or at room temperature. They are a tasty treat and take about 5 minutes to make. This recipe provides two cooking methods – one in the frying pan and the other in the microwave.
- 8 to 9 oz blanched almonds
- 3 to 4 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
Frying Pan Method
- Pour olive oil into a medium non-stick frying pan with a heavy bottom. Place on medium heat and be sure that olive oil coats the entire bottom of the pan.
- When the pan is hot, add the almonds and “sauté” them, stirring often until all sides are golden brown.
- Remove from the pan using a slotted spoon or spatula and place on paper towels, spreading them out to drain.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve.
Microwave Oven Method
- Place blanched almonds on a large dinner plate (10 or 12 inches).
- Drizzle olive oil over almonds, stirring almonds to ensure that they are coated with oil on all sides.
- Spread almonds out around the plate, leaving the center of the plate empty.
- Place in microwave and cook for 90 seconds on 750-watt power. Move almonds or stir. Cook for another 90 seconds.
- Remove almonds and sprinkle with salt. Serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||172 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||113 g|
|Dietary Fiber||27 g|