|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 26g||33%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||41%|
|Total Carbohydrate 47g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||30%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Cool, damp weather during the autumn in Northern Spain creates the ideal environment for wild mushrooms, which pop up all over the rolling green hills. Spaniards enjoy spending the afternoons in the country, picking various kinds of wild mushrooms, such as setas de cardo, boletus and niscalos. This recipe uses common white mushrooms that you can buy at the grocery store. An added bonus is that mushrooms are a low-calorie food and are a good source of B vitamins, riboflavin, niacin and pantothenic acid, as well as the essential minerals, selenium, copper and potassium. So, you can enjoy this delicious Spanish tapa, without feeling guilty about indulging.
This is a simple vegetarian tapa dish, which can also serve as a side dish, takes only basic cooking skills and just a few minutes to prepare. First, finely chop the onion, garlic and a bit of parsley. The, sauté them in olive oil. Add the flour, white wine and red pepper flakes. Place mushrooms on slices of fried bread, and spoon the wine sauce over the top, and you are ready to serve.
- 1 3/4 lb./800 gr white mushrooms
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 3-4 sprigs flat leaf parsley
- 12-15 slices baguette
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Gather the ingredients.
- Clean the mushrooms of any dirt and debris, and cut off the stems. Set mushroom caps aside and allow them to drain. Finely chop the onion, the garlic and the parsley.
- Pour a few tablespoons of olive oil into a large frying pan and heat on medium. Saute onion and garlic until onion is translucent. Add the mushrooms, flour, hot pepper, parsley and white wine. Simmer on low for approximately 30 minutes.
- Pour a few tablespoons of olive oil into a large frying pan and heat on medium. Fry the slices of bread in the pan on both sides. Remove and drain on a paper towel.
- Serve by placing a couple of mushrooms atop each piece of fried bread, and secure mushrooms with toothpicks. Spoon the wine sauce over the top and serve warm.
Calorie Tip: To lower the calories, toast slices of bread instead of frying them.