This recipe for Spanish Seafood Salad (Salpicon de Marisco) is quick and easy to make and it's a tasty, dish perfect for summer. Serve it as a light main course, a side dish or a tapa.
- 12 oz. crab meat (or 1 pkg. imitation crab)
- 1 pound of octopus (boiled, or substitute boiled squid)
- 1 1/2 pound shrimp (boiled and peeled)
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 8 oz. cocktail onions
- 1/2 medium yellow onion (optional)
- 8 oz. gherkin pickles
- 8 oz. green olives (stuffed with anchovies)
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin Spanish olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Note: If you cannot purchase octopus that is already boiled, purchase the fresh octopus and boil between 30-60 minutes until tender. The cooking time depends on the size of the octopus. If you prefer, clean and boil squid in a pan for 5-10 minutes.
While octopus or squid is boiling, cook the shrimp. In a medium size saucepan, bring water to a boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, add the raw shrimp, shells on. Boil 3-5 minutes. Pour out water and immediately rinse in cold water. When shrimp has cooled, peel, rinse and drain. Place in a bowl with octopus.
If using imitation crab meat, cut or flake into 1/2-inch pieces. If using crab meat, break into 1/2-inch pieces with a fork. Add to serving bowl.
Once the octopus or squid is cooked, cut it into slices approximately 1/4 inch thick. Place in a large serving bowl.
Rinse peppers and remove seeds. Cut the peppers into 1/2-inch square pieces. Chop onion. Cut pickles in half. Add peppers, onion and pickles, as well as drained cocktails onions and green olives to the serving bowl.
Add white vinegar and olive oil to taste, using approximately 1 part vinegar to two parts oil. Mix thoroughly. Add salt to taste.