With Spanish-style flavors, these shoulder pork chops are baked to perfection with rice, peppers, and tomato sauce.
It's a one-dish meal that is perfect for a busy day family dinner. Just layer the ingredients in the baking dish and pop it in the oven. For extra depth of flavor, brown the pork chops in a little oil in a skillet before placing them in the baking pan.
The casserole makes a nice meal with a tossed salad or fresh sliced tomatoes.
- 6 shoulder pork chops
- salt and pepper
- 2 green or red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 1 large can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 degrees C/Gas 4).
- Grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper. Place in a single layer in the prepared baking pan.
- Cut six 1/2-inch thick rings from the bell peppers, discarding seeds, stems, and membranes. Chop remaining bell pepper and set aside.
- Place a pepper ring on each pork chop.
- Spoon rice into and around the pepper rings.
- Combine remaining chopped green pepper with the tomato sauce, water, onion, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of salt, or to taste, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pour sauce over pork chops and rice.
- Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake for about 2 hours, until rice is tender.
- Baste rice with the tomato sauce mixture a few times during baking time.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|