Special Kay Bars are a delicious no-bake bar cookie. The crunch of the cereal is complemented by rich and chewy caramel peanut butter and smooth and creamy chocolate.
You must use Special K cereal in this recipe. Puffed rice cereals become soggy in the rich caramel peanut butter mixture. The crisp cereal stays crunchy and gives the bars the most satisfying chewy texture that is perfectly complemented by the creamy frosting that stays soft and velvety.
These bars are a pretty good source of potassium, fiber, protein, and B vitamins for a treat!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar (granulated)
- 1-1/2 cups corn syrup
- 1-1/2 cups peanut butter
- 6 cups Special K crisp rice cereal (NOT Rice Krispies!)
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugars and corn syrup and mix well. Microwave on high for 2 minutes and 15 seconds; meanwhile, rinse the spoon off with very hot water.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir the mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Return the bowl to the microwave and microwave on high for another 2 minutes and 15 seconds, or until the mixture begins to bubble and boil. Again, rinse that spoon.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and add 1-1/2 cups of the peanut butter. Stir until mixture is smooth and combined.
- Add the cereal and stir to coat. Pour and press the cereal mixture into a greased 13x9 inch pan, using the back of a greased spoon to press evenly.
- Combine the chocolate chips and 1/3 cup of the peanut butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Heat on medium power for 2 minutes; remove and stir.
- Return to microwave for another 30 seconds if necessary to melt chips. Stir until smooth then spread over cereal mixture. Let cool completely, then cut into bars. Store, covered, at room temperature.
You can also make this on the stovetop; combine ingredients as the recipe specifies, except cook over medium heat in a heavy saucepan until mixture starts to bubble and sugar is dissolved. Continue as the recipe directs. Melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Continue as directed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|