A simple spiced batter, fresh grated or shredded apples, and chopped walnuts make these apple bars moist and delicious. I shredded the apples with a mandoline, but you could grate them with a food processor or chop them very finely. And there's no need to peel the apples.
Sift some powdered sugar over the apple bars or serve them warm with a scoop of ice cream. They would be great drizzled with caramel sauce or a simple vanilla icing as well.
Related Recipe: Fresh Apple Cake With Brown Sugar Topping
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter (melted and cooled slightly)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups apple (finely chopped or grated (1 large apple))
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (4 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- dash salt
- 3/4 cup walnuts (chopped)
- Optional: 1/2 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine the melted butter, granulated sugar, egg, and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir to blend. Add the apples to the flour mixture and stir to blend.
- Add the apple and flour mixture to the first mixture; beat until well blended.
- Stir in chopped walnuts.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the pan to a rack to cool.
- Dust with powdered sugar, if desired, or serve with a drizzling of caramel sauce or vanilla icing.
Makes about 16 bars.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|