|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||8%|
|Total Carbohydrate 13g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These delicious little deep-fried fritters are perfect for breakfast or snacking, or take them along to an office meeting or event. They're wonderful rolled in cinnamon sugar, but could also be served with syrup or dusted with powdered sugar.
Fritters are similar to doughnuts, but a little more "free-form" and easier to mix and drop into the hot fat. They're quite versatile as well. See the variations for a few ideas.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 5 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups apple (finely chopped)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup cinnamon sugar (or sugar, or syrup, for serving)
Gather the ingredients.
In a deep, heavy saucepan, heat the oil to 365 F. Line a baking sheet with a few layers of paper towels, for draining the fritters.
In a bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir to blend. Stir in the chopped apple.
In a small bowl, whisk the egg with the milk. Stir in the melted butter. Pour the egg and milk mixture into the apple mixture and stir until blended.
Drop the batter by teaspoonfuls into the hot oil. I fry about 5 or 6 at a time. Fry, turning to brown both sides, for about 3 to 4 minutes.
With a slotted metal spoon, transfer the fritters to the paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
Roll slightly warm fritters in cinnamon sugar or dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve fritters as a breakfast dish or make them for a tasty fall dessert.
- To give the fritters extra texture, add about 1/2 cup of toasted chopped pecans or walnuts to the fritter batter.
- Instead of chopped apples, use chopped fresh pears.