Oatmeal and spices give this apple cake great flavor and texture, along with raisins and pecans. The cake is baked to perfection in a tube cake pan.
Take a look at the reviews for excellent suggestions on lowering the fat and calories
- 3 cups apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, 9 ounces
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup seedless raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup of melted shortening or neutral flavor oil
1. Heat the oven to 350° F (180° C/Gas 4).
2. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube cake pan.
3. Combine the chopped apples, water and 1/2 cup of the brown sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until the apples are almost tender. Remove from the heat and let the apple mixture cool.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, oatmeal, raisins, and pecans.
Toss to blend.
5. Stir in the cooled apple mixture, eggs, remaining brown sugar, and the oil. Mix together until just moistened.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 40 minutes.
7. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Remove to a rack to cool completely.
8. Serve the cake warm or cold.
The cake may be lightly drizzled with a mixture of 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 or 3 teaspoons of warm water, or simply dust with sifted powdered sugar.
Thanks to Joe Harris for sharing this mouthwatering apple cake recipe.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|