This is a great fall dish but still good any time of year. Cloves and cinnamon candies flavor these spiced apple rings.
- 12 pounds firm tart apples (no more than 2 1/2-inch diameter)
- 12 cups sugar
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups white vinegar (5-percent acidity)
- 3 tablespoons whole cloves
- 3/4 cup red hot cinnamon candies (or 8 cinnamon sticks)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon red food coloring
Peel and slice one apple at a time.
Immediately cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices, remove core area with a melon baller and immerse in an ascorbic acid solution to keep the apples from discoloring.
In a 6-quart saucepan, combine sugar, water, vinegar, cloves, cinnamon candies, or cinnamon sticks and food coloring.
Stir, heat to boil, and simmer 3 minutes.
Drain apples, add to hot syrup, and cook 5 minutes.
Fill wide mouth sterilized canning jars with apple rings and hot flavored syrup, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner according to the recommendations below.
Process Time at Altitudes
- 0 - 1,000 ft: 10 min.
- 1,001 - 6,000 ft: 15 min.
- Above 6,000 ft: 20 min.