This spiced banana loaf cake is a great dessert for banana lovers. The included vanilla icing makes a delicious glaze for the cake, but it could be served with a caramel dessert sauce or a dusting of powdered sugar as well. The cake is moist and delicious either way!
This easy recipe makes three small loaves, one for the family, one for a potluck, and one for the freezer.
- 6 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- For the Icing:
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons of milk (or cream, or more, as needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease and flour three 8 1/2-x-4 1/2-inch loaf pans. Heat oven to 325°.
- In a medium bowl, mash bananas and pour vegetable oil over them; set aside while making the cake.
- Cream the 1/2 cup of butter and granulated sugar; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in banana and oil mixture; mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and use a whisk or spoon to blend thoroughly.
- Add the dry mixture to creamed banana mixture and blend well.
- Fold in raisins and pecans until well incorporated.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared loaf pans and bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of a loaf.
- Cool the cakes on racks. Drizzle with icing (below) or sift powdered sugar over the cakes.
- Combine the melted butter with powdered sugar.
- Add 2 tablespoons of milk and the vanilla extract and beat until smooth. Add more milk, as needed, to make a drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle the icing over the cooled cakes.
To freeze a loaf (iced or not), place it on a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Wrap the frozen cake in foil and place it in a freezer bag. Label with the name and date and freeze the cake for up to 3 months. Or freeze the cake in individual portions. Wrap and seal in a bag. Unwrap and thaw the cake for 2 to 3 hours at room temperature.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|