Crispy slices of spiced lamb, juicy ripe tomatoes, crunchy red onions, creamy tzatziki sauce, crisp cucumbers, leafy spinach, and tangy feta cheese are nestled in a buttery and airy piece of pita bread
- 1 pita (whole wheat or white)
- 1/3 cup cooked gyro meat (if you can't buy it pre-made in your area, try this recipe)
- 4 slices of cucumber
- a handful of fresh spinach
- a couple slices of red onion
- 1 tbsp. feta cheese
- 1 few cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- 2 tbsp. tzatziki
- For the Tzatziki:
- 1 tbsp. plain greek yogurt
- 2 slices of cucumber (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp. red onion (finely chopped)
- the juice of 1 lemon wedge
- 3 mint leaves (finely chopped)
- 1/4 tsp. fresh dill (finely chopped)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
Begin by preparing the tzatziki. In a small bowl, mix the greek yogurt with the finely chopped cucumber, onion, the mint and dill, the lemon juice, and salt and pepper. It's best if you let this sauce sit for a bit before you dig in, but if you're in a time crunch, just go ahead and use it. It will still be good.
Next, prepare the meat. I like mine to get a little crispy so to do this, I just let it brown in a nonstick pan over medium heat for a few minutes until it starts to crisp up.
Once the meat is ready, toast your pita until it is soft and pliable.
Add half of the tzatziki to the bottom of the pita and then top it with fresh spinach, the gyro meat, the chopped tomato, the chopped onion, the rest of the tzatziki, and the diced red onion.
Fold the gyro in half and gently wrap the bottom half with wax paper. Serve immediately.