The spiked passion fruit horchata is a soothing drink filled with fun flavors that offer a unique taste. The recipe mixes a cinnamon-flavored tequila liqueur with horchata and passion fruit. The result is an intriguing semi-creamy, spicy, fruity cocktail that works unbelievably well. It really is worth trying at least once.
Horchata is a rice drink that is traditional in Mexico. It's often likened to spiced milk, but it is actually a dairy-free, sweetened rice milk that's flavored with cinnamon. You can find it ready-made at many international grocers or you can make your own horchata with a few simple ingredients and a blender.
- 2 ounces cinnamon tequila
- 2 ounces horchata
- 1/2 ounce passion fruit puree
- Garnish: cinnamon stick
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
Serve and enjoy!
- If you prefer to make your own passion fruit puree, it's very easy. Simply combine about 1 1/2 cups passion fruit, 1/2 cup sugar, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in your blender or food processor and blend about 30 seconds, or until smooth.
- Cinnamon-infused tequila is also simple and a good alternative if you can't find a commercial alternative. Simply add a cinnamon stick to tequila in an infusion jar. Let it infuse for about 3 or 4 days, or until it reaches your desired flavor, then remove the cinnamon and bottle the tequila. Don't put the stick in a tequila bottle as it will soak up the liquid and expand, making it impossible to remove through the bottle's neck.
- This cocktail would also be great when served "up" in a cocktail glass. Be sure to chill the glass before straining in order to keep it chilled longer since you won't be using ice.
- Just like real horchata, this recipe can easily be increased to fill a small pitcher for a few people. Keep everything in proportion and chill it in the refrigerator, then pour it over ice to serve.
- If you were to substitute anything for real horchata in this drink, RumChata is your best bet because it was inspired by the traditional drink. Though it is a dairy liqueur, it is readily available and mixes nicely with cinnamon and fruits.
- Other fruits can work just as well as passion fruit. You could, for instance, go with apple, apricot, blood orange, pear, pineapple, or pomegranate, all of which pair nicely with cinnamon. Either buy or create a puree out of the fruit or pick up packaged options like juice or nectar.
How Strong Is a Spiked Passion Fruit Horchata Cocktail?
When made with an 80-proof tequila, this drink weighs in at a pleasantly mild 16 percent ABV (32 proof). It's just a touch stronger than drinking a glass of wine, only more delicious.