Looking for something new to do with all the extra crab apples from your crab apple tree? Try these spiced crab apple pickles, made with vinegar, sugar, and spices.
- 6 cups apple cider vinegar
- 8 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 3 sticks cinnamon
- 8 pounds crab apples (leave stems on)
- Mix vinegar and sugar; bring to a boil.
- Put spices in a cheesecloth bag. Add crab apples and spice bag to syrup and boil until apples are tender.
- Remove the fruit with a slotted spoon and pack into hot sterilized jars. Pour in syrup. Seal.
- Process crabapples in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes. From 1,001 to 3,000 feet altitude, process for 25 minutes. For 3,001 to 6,000 feet in altitude, process for 30 minutes. Over 6,000 feet, process 35 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|