|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||27%|
|Total Carbohydrate 104g||38%|
|Dietary Fiber 29g||105%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This spicy black bean soup is quick and easy to prepare, with spicy smoked sausage and canned black beans. Serve this tasty soup with cornbread or crusty rolls.
Feel free to add spinach or escarole to the soup, or add some corn kernels.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 to 16 ounces Andouille or spicy sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced, about 1/2 cup
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno peppers
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add the sausage and cook over medium heat until browned.
Add onion, celery, red bell pepper, and jalapeno peppers to the pan and sauté for about 3 minutes, or until tender.
Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer.
Add the beef broth, beans, tomatoes, lemon juice, and remaining seasonings. Bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 45 minutes.
Serve with freshly baked cornbread or crusty rolls.