Bring sunshine into the kitchen on a cold winter day with a spicy, butternut squash risotto. This recipe uses a butternut squash but feel free to ring the changes by using pumpkin when available in the autumn.
The spicy butternut squash risotto recipe uses Arborio rice. If you want a risotto with more bite, we recommend using Carnaroli.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 red birds eye chili (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 1/2 ounces arborio risotto rice
- 1 butternut squash (approx 2 1/4 pounds, peeled and diced into 1 in pieces)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 pints vegetable stock (hot)
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan (freshly grated plus extra for serving)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Gently warm the olive oil in a wide pan. Add the onion and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until softened. Add the chili and cinnamon, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rice and stir until all the grains are coated in the oil, they should be lightly translucent.
- Add the squash, add the wine and bring to a rapid boil. Whilst stirring, add the hot stock, 2 ladles at a time. Make sure the stock is totally absorbed before adding any more this will take approximately 15 to 20 minutes. At the end of this time the rice and the squash should be tender but still have a slight 'bite'.
- Stir in the Parmesan and season to taste. Leave the risotto to stand for 5 minutes then serve on warmed plates with extra Parmesan grated on top.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|