|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 38g||49%|
|Saturated Fat 19g||96%|
|Total Carbohydrate 54g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||17%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Pasta dishes are always family-pleasing, and this Cajun pasta with chicken is a delicious change of pace from the usual. The extraordinary combination of Cajun ingredients with fusilli or rotini and diced cooked chicken can be as mild or spicy as you like. Leave the cayenne pepper out or add extra, depending on your tolerance for heat. The dish is a quick and easy preparation and if you are using pre-cooked chicken, dinner will be ready in less than 45 minutes.
What Pasta Shapes Are Good Substitutes for Fusilli or Rotini?
Fusilli and rotini are shaped like corkscrews, with ridges that hold creamy sauces well. Good alternatives include rigatoni, farfalle, and campanelle, which is shaped like a cone with a ruffled edge.
- 12 ounces or fusilli (or rotini pasta)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper (sliced)
- 6 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 to 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (plus more for sprinkling)
Gather the ingredients.
Cook the pasta in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain in a colander, and rinse well with hot water.
In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the mushrooms and sliced red and green bell pepper for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are mushrooms are lightly browned and the peppers are tender.
To the mushroom mixture, add the sliced green onions, minced garlic, and chicken; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
Stir in the Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, and black pepper; cook, stirring, for another minute.
Add the soup, milk, and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer.
Stir in the grated Parmesan cheese and the cooked pasta. Heat through and serve.
How to Store and Freeze
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- If you plan to freeze the dish for another day, cook the pasta al dente or a little under and prepare the dish without the cheese. Freeze in a freezer container or bags. Label with the name and date and freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat, cook on the stovetop over low heat, stirring frequently. Add the cheese and add a small amount of milk or stock to moisten, as needed.
- Instead of green onions, slice an onion and cook it along with the mushrooms and peppers.