|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||42%|
|Total Carbohydrate 8g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This Cajun-style meatloaf is packed with flavor and healthy ingredients. The loaf is made with ground beef and ground pork, making for a moist and flavorful meatloaf. The "holy trinity" of onion, bell pepper, and celery, along with Cajun seasonings give the meatloaf Louisiana flavor.
Use ketchup or chili sauce as a topping for the meatloaf, or make a delicious homemade Creole sauce for topping and serving. Fresh or store-bought salsa is another excellent option.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper (or green, finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup finely ground breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork (or more beef)
- 1 medium tomato (seeds removed, cored, finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt-free Cajun seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Optional: ketchup (or chili sauce)
Heat the oven to 350 F.
Line a rimmed baking pan with foil or spray a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the finely chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery. Cook until the vegetables are softened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg with the milk; add the breadcrumbs, beef and pork, chopped tomato, Cajun seasoning, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Add the cooled vegetable mixture and blend well with your hands.
Optionally, to check a meatloaf for seasoning, take a small amount and shape it into a flat patty. Fry the patty until it is cooked through and taste it. Adjust the seasonings, as needed.
Loosely pack the meatloaf mixture into the prepared baking pan or loaf pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
If desired, spread ketchup or chili sauce over the top of the meatloaf about 10 minutes before done.
- If your Cajun seasoning contains salt, increase the Cajun seasoning to 2 1/2 teaspoons and decrease the salt to 1/2 teaspoon.
- To check a meatloaf for doneness, use a reliable instant-read thermometer. The minimum safe temperature for ground beef or pork is 160 F. Ground poultry must be cooked to a temperature of at least 165 F.
- Instead of the classic loaf shape, bake the meatloaf mixture in muffin tins.
- Bake two loaves and freeze one for a future meal.