These cheese rounds, a little zippy from the cayenne pepper, taste wonderful with crudités and a glass of wine. Make sure the wine is spicy enough to hold its own against the pepper and sharp cheese flavors.
- 2 cups Cantal or sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Using a mixer beat together all the ingredients until a dough ball forms. The dough will look shaggy.
- Put the dough onto a clean, floured work surface and roll into a 15-inch long log that measures about 1 ½-inches in diameter. Wrap the log in plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Unwrap chilled dough and slice into very thin (1/8-inch thick) coins. Arrange the cheese rounds in a single layer slightly apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the rounds begin to brown on the edges. Allow them to cool slightly before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|