Super crispy fried chicken and tangy homemade pickles, slathered with a hot and spicy pepper sauce and packed into a buttery biscuit. Can't stand the heat? No problem. Check out this chicken sandwich or simply leave out the peppers from the ingredients below.
- 1 chicken breast (cut into strips)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tbsp. hot sauce
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 4 cups peanut oil for frying
- 1/4 cup cucumbers (sliced)
- 1/4 tsp. raw sugar
- 2 pinches salt
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 buttermilk biscuits
- Hot pepper sauce (such as Sriracha or Captain Foods's Datil Pepper Sauce)
- To brine the chicken: Combine the buttermilk and hot sauce in a ziplock bag, stir, and add chicken. Let the chicken marinate up to 48 hours, which is where I find the flavor and texture peaks.
- When you're ready to make the chicken biscuits, start by preparing the cucumbers so they have time to pickle! In a small bowl, add cucumbers and massage in sugar and salt. Let sit for a few minutes, then add vinegar and set aside.
- Heat oil to 360 F.
- Meanwhile, make the flour mixture. In a shallow dish, stir together flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Remove chicken, piece by piece, from brine and let the excess liquid drip off. Dredge each tender in the flour, then add it back to the buttermilk, then to the flour again. Shake off excess breading and fry until golden and crispy and the meat is cooked through.
- Remove from oil, set on paper towels, and sprinkle with a little more salt. Set aside.
- Carefully cut your biscuits in half, slather each side with as much pepper sauce as you can handle. Evenly add as many fried chicken tenders as possible, shove a few slices of pickles between each one, and finally, close the sandwiches up and serve!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||486 g|
|Saturated Fat||91 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||220 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|