This unique chicken lasagna is made with layers of lasagna noodles, green tomatillo salsa and tomato salsa, cilantro, Mexican cheese, spinach, diced tomatoes, and cooked chicken.
The Tex-Mex flavors make this delicious lasagna an extra-special meal your family will ask for again.
To cut down on prep time, cook the chicken a day in advance or purchase a rotisserie chicken or fully cooked chicken strips.
- 9 lasagna noodles (cooked al dente, drained)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chili powder to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup tomatillo salsa verde
- 6 to 8 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup chunky salsa (divided)
- 10 to 12 ounces frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed dry)
- 2 large tomatoes (diced)
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Carefully slice each chicken breast into thinner cutlets or strips.* Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chili powder and then saute the chicken in the hot oil, turning frequently, until cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Chop the chicken and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the milk and tomatillo salsa and cook, stirring, until thickened. Stir in the green onions, cilantro, and cheese. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Spread about half of the chunky salsa in a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan. Lay 3 lasagna noodles side-by-side over the salsa layer. Top the lasagna noodles with half of the spinach, half of the cooked chicken, and half of the diced tomatoes.
- Spread with about 1 cup of the cheese sauce mixture.
- Repeat with 3 more noodles, the remaining spinach, the remaining chicken, and the remaining tomatoes.
- Spread with another 1 cup of the cheese sauce mixture.
- Top with the remaining noodles and then spread with the remaining chunky salsa and the remaining cheese sauce mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer.
* To slice a chicken breast half into two cutlets, place a hand on top of the chicken breast half and slice horizontally from the thick end to the thin end.
"I've made this many times and everyone loves it! I will cook the chicken in my crock pot on low while at work so it's ready to prepare when I get home. This makes easier to prepare after a day's work." Jules
"This was a little involved but not too difficult to make. I substituted Gluten free lasagna noodles for the pasta. My husband loved it! It is in the favorites folder now." Z.G.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||41 g|
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|