|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||8%|
|Total Carbohydrate 1g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 0g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This excellent spicy chili aioli is a great dip to serve with French fries, chicken fingers, or wings, and it makes a fabulous spread for burgers and other meat sandwiches. Feel free to adjust the amount of sambal or Sriracha if you want more or less heat. Prepare the dip a few hours in advance and refrigerate it until serving time.
Chili garlic sauce, Sriracha sauce, and sambal oelek are found in the Asian section of the supermarket. They are all made with red chili peppers and salt, and most contain some vinegar. There is a small amount of sugar in Sriracha sauce, while there is none in sambal. The combination of the two sauces with the mayonnaise produces heat, a touch of sweetness, and texture to the dip.
If you are planning a party, scale the recipe up to accommodate your appetizers. The dip is great with raw vegetables, fried seafood, crab cakes, chicken, fritters, fries, and more.
Gather the ingredients.
Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to blend thoroughly. Taste and add more chili garlic sauce if you'd like more heat.
Serve the dip as a spread for burgers or sandwiches or serve it in small bowls as a dip for fresh vegetables, or appetizers.
This combination makes a delicious dish for crab cakes, salmon patties, and savory fritters. Or consider serving it with fried shrimp or fried oysters as an option along with remoulade sauce or tartar sauce. The heat and mayonnaise make a wonderful side dip with chicken nuggets as well, and it is fantastic with sweet potato or regular French fries. As a spread, it is amazing on turkey burgers!
- What is the difference between sambal oelek and Sriracha? The sauces are similar, but there are some subtle differences. There is some sugar in Sriracha sauce, but none in sambal. The absence of sugar means the chili pepper flavors stand out. Sambal also has more texture than the smoother Sriracha sauce.
- What is aioli? The word literally means mayonnaise with garlic. While many aioli recipes start with fresh eggs, others use prepared commercial mayonnaise.
- For a sweeter sauce, add a dash of sugar or honey or use sweet Thai chili sauce instead of sambal.
- For more garlic flavor, peel, mash, and mince 1 small clove of garlic and add it to the dip. Or add about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, or to taste.
- Stir about 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro into the aioli mixture for additional color and flavor.
- Add a teaspoon of spicy mustard, or to taste.
- Add 1 teaspoon of finely minced ginger to the aioli.
- Make the chili aioli from scratch with homemade mayonnaise. Fresh eggs can contain salmonella, which can cause food poisoning. Even though the risk is low, the USDA recommends using pasteurized eggs in uncooked dishes.
Raw Egg Warning
Consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs poses a risk of food-borne illness.