Serve these chili-spiced pinto beans with cornbread and slaw for a great meat-free dinner.
- 16 ounces dried pinto beans (rinsed and picked over, soaked overnight)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 medium cloves garlic (minced)
- 6 cups water, or to cover
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Cover rinsed and sorted beans with water; cover the bowl and let soak overnight. Drain beans; combine all ingredients in the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 to 10 hours, or until beans are tender.