Usually, Indian cuisine does not include beef, for obvious reasons. But you can use Indian flavors and other foods of the cuisine to make beef recipes.
The marinade for this delicious Indian recipe is very spicy. You can reduce the level of spices by simply reducing the amount, or omit the cayenne pepper or mustard seeds if you aren't a fan of very hot foods. If you love spicy foods, of course, you can increase these ingredients!
You can use any type of steak in this easy and exotic recipe, but strip steak or flank steak are both excellent choices. These cuts are best when marinated and quickly grilled, then sliced against the grain. That means you cut the steak perpendicular to the natural lines in the steak. Those cuts of beef are tender and very flavorful and inexpensive too.
Serve this recipe with a crisp green salad and a cool cucumber salad for contrast. Some naan bread would also be a good addition. Add some cold beer or a red or rose wine for an excellent dinner.
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger root
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds flank steak or strip steak, cut into 6 serving size pieces
- Place the ginger root, onion, and garlic in a blender or food processor and blend or process until very finely minced.
- Grind the coriander and cumin seeds, cayenne pepper, salt, and mustard seeds in a spice grinder or coffee grinder until they are powdered. Stir the spices into the onion mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in large skillet over medium heat and add the onion and spice mixture; immediately reduce the heat to medium-low. Saute the ingredients gently over medium-low heat until they are very fragrant. Remove the onion mixture from the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes. Then spoon the onion mixture on the steaks, turning the meat to coat. Refrigerate the steaks, tightly covered, for 2 to 24 hours so the ingredients can permeate the meat.
- When you're ready to cook, prepare and preheat an outdoor gas or charcoal grill. Remove the steaks from the onion marinade and cook over medium-high coals for 10 to 15 minutes or until desired doneness, at least 145 F as tested with a meat thermometer. When the meat is done, remove it from the heat, place on a clean plate, and cover with foil. Let stand for 5 minutes. Slice the steak thinly across the grain to serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|