Slice your carrots thick or thin for this spicy Moroccan side dish. The carrots are boiled and then tossed in a zesty marinade made from harissa, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and spices. Serve the carrots warm or cold.
- 1 1/4 pounds/500 grams fresh carrots
- 5 tablespoons olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 3 or 4 garlic cloves (partially crushed)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons parsley (fresh and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon harissa
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Peel and slice the carrots as thick or as thin as you like. (I prefer them thinly sliced.)
- Place the carrots in a pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook the carrots until they're tender but still firm enough to hold their shape. Drain, and immediately cover the carrots with cold water to stop further cooking. Drain again.
- In a medium pot or skillet, gently saute the garlic cloves in the olive oil for two or three minutes over low heat. Discard the garlic and add the harissa, lemon juice, parsley, and spices. Stir to mix.
- Add the carrots to the marinade and stir gently to mix. Saute over low heat for another two minutes, and remove from the heat.
- Serve the spicy marinated carrots either warm or chilled.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|