|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 46g||59%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||65%|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This is a flavorful and spicy pulled chicken sandwich. You can add more or less hot sauce depending on how you like it. This dish is perfect for any weeknight meal, informal gathering, or game day events.
- 1 large whole chicken (about 6 pounds/2.7 kg)
- 2 onions (halved)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL allspice
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL cayenne pepper
- 1 bottle barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup/60 mL brown sugar
- 1 package rolls (or hamburger buns)
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL salt
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL black pepper
1. Wash and pat dry chicken. Coat outside and cavity of chicken with cayenne pepper, allspice, salt, and black pepper. Place onions, garlic, and herb sprigs inside.
2. Prepare smoker. Smoke chicken for 6-8 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 180-185 degrees F. ( 85-90 degrees C.) This high temperature will make it easier to shred.
3. Once cooked, remove chicken from smoker and set on a baking sheet. Allow to cool (about 15-20 minutes) before pulling apart.
4. While chicken is cooling, add 1 bottle of barbecue sauce with 1 teaspoon of hot sauce, and 1/4 cup of brown sugar into a large saucepan. Allow sauce to simmer on very low heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cover saucepan and keep sauce warm until ready to use.
5. When the chicken has cooled, remove skin, and shred meat. Place shredded meat into a saucepan with barbecue sauce. Make sure the chicken is well coated with sauce before serving.