This recipe is perfect for the spicy food fan. You can adjust the amount of red pepper used in this pulled pork recipe to increase or reduce it spiciness. Serve with a cool, creamy coleslaw.
- 1 boneless pork butt (5-6 pounds/2.3-2.8 kg)
- For the Rub:
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL paprika
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL onion salt
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL dried whole oregano
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL dried whole thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL ground black pepper
In a small mixing bowl, combine all rub ingredients. Coat pork shoulder with seasonings and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1-3 hours. Preheat smoker and prepare for an 8 hour smoke.
Make sure wood chips are soaked and drained before using. Add charcoal and wood chips as necessary to keep temperature low, around 225 degrees F/110 degrees C. Smoke pork shoulder for about 8 hours or until internal temperatures reach 185 degrees F/85 degrees C.
Once pork is cooked remove from smoker. Wrap tightly in foil and allow to sit for an hour. Afterward unwrap pork butt and shred. Combine pork with 1/3 of your favorite table sauce. Keep warm and serve on white bread buns with remaining sauce on the side. Top with Coleslaw.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||52 g|
|Saturated Fat||19 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||23 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|