These crunchy, savory Spicy Pumpkin Seeds will be devoured by the handful. You can find pumpkin seeds in the health food section of your grocery store - or use the ones that you scoop out of your Jack-O-Lantern.
To remove the seeds, scoop out the innards of the pumpkin. Then separate some of the stringy part from the seeds; as much as you can with your hands. Then put the remaining seeds in a bowl and fill with warm water. Massage the seeds with your fingers. The pulp will fall away to the bottom of the bowl and the seeds will float. Then dry the seeds thoroughly before proceeding with the recipe.
You can use any kind of herbs and spices in this easy recipe. Try using a combination of dried herbs in place of the cumin, cayenne pepper, and chili powder. Try basil with thyme and marjoram, or mix oregano with basil and tarragon. Some cheese sprinkled on the seeds after they come out of the oven is a nice finishing touch. Parmesan or Romano cheese, finely grated, works best for this.
These seeds will keep well, stored at room temperature in a jar with a tight fitting lid, for up to a week. If they last that long! This snack mix can also be combined with other snacks, such as Rosemary Toasted Nuts or People Puppy Chow for a great holiday gift, or set them out on a buffet table for easy munching.
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds (raw)
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F. Place the clean and dried pumpkin seeds on an ungreased cookie sheet.
2. Mix together butter and Tabasco sauce and drizzle over the seeds. Combine the cayenne pepper, cumin, chili powder, and salt and mix well; sprinkle over the coated seeds. Toss well to coat.
3. Bake for 35-45 minutes until the seeds are golden brown and crisp, stirring seeds once halfway through baking.
Cool completely, stirring occasionally. Store in airtight container.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|