If you can use cola in a barbecue sauce, why not root beer? This sauce is fantastic on poultry and pork and adds a slightly sweet and mildly spicy flavor to your barbecue.
- 1 cup root beer
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (use less if preferred)
- salt to taste
1. Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool. This sauce can keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Either use sauce as a baste or table sauce.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|