Want a delicious Asian-inspired family meal or a dinner party favorite? Spicy salt and pepper mix lends flavor to these deep-fried spareribs. If it is available, feel free to substitute Szechuan peppercorns for the black pepper.
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless meaty spareribs or pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 3 to 4 cups oil for deep-frying, or as needed
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, or as needed
- Stir-fry the salt and black pepper in a heavy frying pan over medium-low heat, shaking the pan, until the salt darkens. Remove from the heat and stir in the five-spice powder. Cool.
- Cut the spareribs along the individual bones. Rub lightly with salt and pepper mixture. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oil for deep-frying to between 360 and 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dust the spareribs with the cornstarch. Use a deep-fryer basket to carefully add the ribs into the oil. Deep-fry the submerged spareribs for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and drain.
- Deep-fry the spareribs a second time, until they are crispy and cooked (about 1 minute). Drain. Serve with any remaining salt and pepper mix for dipping.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||86 g|
|Saturated Fat||32 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||38 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|