- 8 ounces mini penne pasta or elbow macaroni
- 12 to 16 ounces smoked andouille sausage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 to 1 cup soft fine bread crumbs tossed with 2 to 3 teaspoons melted butter
- Cook pasta following package directions; drain, rinse, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan or skillet, cook the andouille sausage with onion and bell pepper until onions are translucent. Remove the sausage mixture to a plate and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the same skillet over medium heat; stir in flour until blended. Gradually add the milk and Creole seasoning. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add the cheese and stir until melted. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. Stir in the drained pasta and sausage mixture. Spoon into the prepared casserole. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until topping is browned and casserole is bubbly.
Serves 5 to 6.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||49 g|
|Saturated Fat||24 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||16 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|