Spicy Seitan Buffalo "Wings" are a vegetarian and vegan substitute for traditional pub buffalo wings but with all the same seasonings and flavor and fried goodness smothered in melty margarine (make sure it's vegan margarine if needed!) and hot wing sauce, just like the original buffalo wings made from chicken. It's really all about the sauce. I've made this recipe with a few different types of sauce, but when in doubt, Frank's Red Hot Original Buffalo Wing Sauce is a classic choice. I'm personally a fan for many reasons, but one reason is that it is very low in sugar and it doesn't have any added high fructose corn syrup. Oh, and because it's delicious!
Seitan doesn't come with wings any more than buffaloes do, but these meatless buffalo wings are cooked up with hot sauce and margarine for the same spicy flavor. If you're a vegetarian or vegan who misses buffalo wings (or knows someone who does), you won't be disappointed with this recipe! I
Need a gluten-free vegan hot wing idea? Try this version of vegetarian hot wings made with tofu, or, if you just can't get enough vegetarian wing ideas, try these Chinese sesame "chicken" wings or these vegan cauliflower buffalo wings - yum!
See also: More vegetarian seitan recipes
- 1 pound
- seitan (sliced into strips)
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- oil for frying
- 1/3 cup margarine (melted)
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (or wing sauce like Frank's Red Hot Wing Sauce)
- First, coat your chopped seitan with the garlic powder and onion powder. then lightly fry in vegetable oil or canola oil over medium high heat for 5 to 7 minutes, or until lightly browned on all sides.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the melted margarine and hot sauce.
- Place the seitan in the bowl and stir to coat well.
- The coating with firm up as it cools, leaving you with a delicious, coated seitan buffalo wing which is just as sticky and delicious as the real thing. Enjoy!
Serve with ranch dressing if you'd like, or, try making your own homemade vegan ranch dressing to use as a dip to keep it vegan.
Makes six servings.
Calories: 217; Calories from Fat: 140
% Recommended Daily Value:
Total Fat: 15.6g; 24%
Saturated Fat: 2.3g; 11%
Cholesterol: 0mg; 0%
Total Carbohydrates: 4.1g; 1%
Dietary Fiber: 1.1g; 4%
Protein : 16.4g
Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 24%, Calcium 1%, Iron 6%
More Vegetarian and Vegan Seitan Recipes:
- Vegetarian Southern Fried Seitan "Chicken"
- Chinese Vegetable Stir-Fry with Seitan
- Crockpot Winter Seitan Stew
- More vegetarian and vegan recipes