|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||35%|
|Total Carbohydrate 34g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||22%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These shoulder pork chops are flavored with Southwestern seasonings and vegetables. Chili powder and tomatoes team up with green chile peppers, onions, and basic seasonings.
These tasty pork chops are very easy to prepare and cook. This flavorful seasoned sauce goes well with baked or mashed potatoes. Add your favorite side vegetables or a salad for a perfect family meal.
- 4 large shoulder pork chops
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup water or low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (14.5 ounces each) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounces) can mild chopped green chile peppers
- 2 large onions (quartered and sliced)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
Gather the ingredients.
Dust the pork chops lightly with the flour.
Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add the pork chops and cook until they are browned on both sides. Add 1/2 cup water or broth, the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cover tightly and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook for 25 to 30 minutes longer, until pork chops are tender.
Serve and enjoy!
- This recipe is made with shoulder pork chops, which are good for long, slow braising. If you are using rib or lean loin chops, skip the first 20 minutes of simmering time. Add all of the ingredients to the seared chops and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Alternatively, pan-fry, broil, or grill the chops and set aside. Make the sauce and add the cooked pork chops the last 5 to 10 minutes.