|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 2 to 3|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||12%|
|Total Carbohydrate 29g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||19%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Tofu scramble is a quick, easy and healthy way to start the day, and the combination of tofu doused in hot sauce in this spicy tofu scramble is a great way to pry your eyes open in the morning. Feel free to add any extra veggies or spices that you happen to have on hand, as it really is hard to go wrong with tofu scramble.
Need another reason to eat tofu scramble with hot sauce in the morning? Cayenne is said to fire up your metabolism a bit, and, once you've followed this simple recipe once or twice, you'll probably be able to do it in your sleep. But make a pot of coffee first, so that you don't have to!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or margarine)
- 1/2 onion (yellow or white; diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 (12-ounce) container tofu (firm or extra-firm; drained, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1/2 bell pepper (any color; diced)
- 3/4 cup mushrooms (sliced)
- 3 green onions (diced)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon hot sauce or chili sauce (to taste)
- 1 dash salt (to taste)
- 1 dash black pepper (freshly ground; to taste)
- Optional: flour tortilla
Gather the ingredients.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes, until onions are slightly soft.
Add soy sauce, tofu, bell pepper, mushrooms, green onions, tomatoes, ginger, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Add hot sauce to taste.
Stirring frequently, sauté for another 6 to 8 minutes, until the veggies are done and the tofu is lightly fried. Add a dash of salt and pepper, to taste.
Wrap in a flour tortilla or serve plain. Enjoy!