Tofu scramble is a quick, easy and healthy way to start the day, and the combination of tofu doused in hot sauce in this spicy tofu scramble is a great way to pry your eyes open in the morning. Feel free to add any extra veggies or spices that you happen to have on hand, as it really is hard to go wrong with tofu scramble.
Like many people, I like to get a big boost of protein first thing in the morning in order to get me going and keep me full. And, if you're vegetarian or vegan, tofu is a great way to get that protein boost.
Need another reason to eat tofu scramble with hot sauce in the morning? Cayenne is said to fire up your metabolism a bit, and, once you've followed this simple recipe once or twice, you'll probably be able to do it in your sleep. But make a pot of coffee first, so that you don't have to!
Scroll down for some more vegetarian and vegan tofu scramble recipes to check out.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil or margarine
- 1/2 yellow or white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. soy sauce (or a gluten-free substitute if needed)
- 1 12-oz container firm or extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 bell pepper, any color, diced
- 3/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 3 green onions, diced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Hot sauce or chili sauce, to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste (sea salt or kosher salt and fresh ground pepper is best)
- Sautee the yellow or white onion and garlic in the olive oil or margarine for 3-5 minutes, until onions are slightly soft.
- Add remaining ingredients, except salt and pepper.
- Stirring frequently, sautee for another 6-8 minutes, until veggies are done and tofu is lightly fried. Add a dash of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Wrap in a flour tortilla, if desired or enjoy plain.
Like making tofu scramble for breakfast? Here's a few more recipes to try:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|