Roasting a whole head of cauliflower at high heat creates a caramelized coating that is extremely flavorful. This zesty recipe combines cumin, garlic, and coriander with a bit of olive oil and lemon juice for a vegetable dish that is both easy to prepare and healthy. The sprinkling of Parmesan at the end while the cauliflower is warm allows the cheese to melt slightly, creating a bit of a gooey topping over the crispy crust.
This recipe works great as an appetizer or for dinner paired with a green salad. It has been called a "vegetarian steak," as the thickness of the cauliflower wedges or slices is reminiscent of a grilled piece of meat. You can even swap out the seasonings for a steak rub or a mixture including Worcestershire sauce to mimic the flavors of steak even more. This recipe is ideal if you (or a family member) is trying to cut down on red meat.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and lightly grease a small baking sheet with vegetable oil. Set aside.
- Remove any green leaves from the cauliflower and trim off the hard part of the base.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil with the lemon zest and juice, cumin, garlic powder, coriander, salt, and pepper.
- Use a brush or your hands to spread the marinade evenly over the head of cauliflower. Any leftover marinade can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to three days and used with meat, fish, or other vegetables.
- Place the cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet and roast until the surface is dry and lightly browned 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let the cauliflower cool for 10 minutes before cutting it into wedges or thick slices. Serve warm with the fresh grated Parmesan sprinkled over the top.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|