This savory strudel utilizes pre-packaged puff pastry to make your time spent in the kitchen so much easier. Many pre-packaged puff pastries--found in your grocer's freezer section--are actually vegan by default. Check the labels on brands such as Pepperidge Farms and similar names and then get cooking!
- 5 onions (Cippolini or any small, sweet onion, thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup broth (mushroom)
- 10 ounces mushrooms (any variety, sliced)
- 3 cups spinach (fresh, chopped)
- 1 package/359g tofu (silken, extra firm, drained)
- 5 tablespoons vegan cream cheese (such as Tofutti brand)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large frying pan over medium high heat, sauté the onions in the mushroom broth until the onions are golden brown and tender, about 10 minutes. Stir often so that the onions do not burn. Add the mushrooms and--keeping over medium-high heat-- cook until almost all of the liquid is gone. Lightly salt and pepper to taste. Gradually add the spinach, and allow it cook for about 45 seconds, or until the leaves are wilted and brilliant green. Cover and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, using a fork, smash the silken tofu until it resembles cottage cheese. Cream the tofu with the vegan cream cheese, olive oil, tahini, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Fold the spinach and mushroom mixture into the tofu mixture and blend well until well incorporated and evenly distributed.
- On a large clean and lightly floured surface, roll out one sheet of puff pastry so that it is just slightly bigger than the dimensions it came packaged in. Keep the dough square as you roll it out.
- Using half of the spinach and mushroom mixture, spread the mixture on only half of thw pastry square leaving a 2 inch border on each side.
- Roll up, starting with the filled side, making sure to keep taut while doing so. Pinch edges and fold down to seal.
- Repeat each step with the other pastry and then place both filled pastries onto a large metal baking sheet.
- Using very sharp knife and coming in from the side, score the top of the pastries with 5 slits each. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and allow to cool about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- To retain crispiness, it is best served shortly after baking.
Party version! Cut the rolled out puff pastry into 3 x 3 inch squares. Press each square snugly into the bottoms of muffin tins and then fill the cups 1/2 with mushroom filling. Bake 30 minutes, or until puff pastry is fluffy and topping is golden. Serve warm.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|