The popular Los Angeles restaurant Sqirl is known for (among other things) its Sorrel Pesto Rice Bowl. Fresh spinach comes together with toasted walnuts, lemon and garlic to make a super fresh-tasting pesto before combining forces with tender brown rice. The flavorful mixture is topped with crunchy and bitter radicchio, salty feta, creamy avocado and a soft boiled egg.
The combination is healthy and hearty with plenty of bright flavors and makes a picture-perfect lunch. Since this recipe is served at room temperature, it makes a nice picnic or meal on the go.
- For the Rice:
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the Pesto and Toppings:
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (with 1 teaspoon reserved for radicchio)
- 1 large garlic clove (grated)
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups packed radicchio (chopped)
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta
- Combine the rice, water, oil, and salt in a pot over high heat. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until tender but chewy and almost all of the water is absorbed. Let sit for 10 minutes and fluff with a fork, then let cool.
- Add the spinach, walnuts, olive oil, lemon juice (reserve 1 teaspoon), garlic and a pinch of salt to your food processor. Pulse, scraping down the sides a few times, until well mixed. Add up to 2 tablespoons of water as needed to keep the mixture moving. Taste and add salt if needed. Toss with cooled rice.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil and then reduce to a rapid simmer. Carefully lower your two eggs into the water and set a timer for 6 minutes. Once the time is up, run the eggs under cold water for 30 seconds before peeling.
- While the eggs cook, toss the radicchio in the reserved teaspoon of lemon juice and a hefty pinch of salt. Slice the avocado.
- Divide pesto rice into two bowls. Equally divide the radicchio, avocado, and feta between the bowls. Top each with an egg sliced in two. Serve immediately.
- If you can't find radicchio, use shredded red cabbage instead. You won't have that bitter bite, but you'll still get a nice crunch and bright color.
- Any kind of rice will work in this recipe. Simply cook 1 cup of rice according to package directions and proceed with the recipe as written.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||53 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||25 g|
|Dietary Fiber||16 g|