The popular Los Angeles restaurant Sqirl is known for (among other things) its Sorrel Pesto Rice Bowl. This recipe is my take on Sqirl's bowl, made with lots and lots of creative license. For this version, fresh spinach comes together with toasted walnuts, lemon and garlic to make a super fresh-tasting pesto before combining forces with tender brown rice. The flavorful mixture is topped with crunchy and bitter radicchio, salty feta, creamy avocado and a soft boiled egg.
The combination is healthy and hearty with plenty of bright flavor and makes a picture perfect lunch. Since this recipe is served at room temperature, it makes a nice picnic or meal on the go.
- For the Rice:
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the Pesto and Toppings:
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (with 1 teaspoon reserved for radicchio)
- 1 large garlic clove (grated)
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups packed radicchio (chopped)
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta
- Combine the rice, water, oil and salt in a pot over high heat. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for 45 minutes or until tender but chewy and almost all of the water is absorbed. Let sit for 10 minutes and fluff with a fork, then let cool.
- Add the spinach, walnuts, olive oil, lemon juice (reserve 1 teaspoon), garlic and a pinch of salt to your food processor. Pulse, scraping down the sides a few times, until well mixed. Add up to 2 tablespoons of water as needed to keep the mixture moving. Taste and add salt if needed. Toss with cooled rice.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil and then reduce to a rapid simmer. Carefully lower your two eggs into the water and set a timer for 6 minutes. Once the time is up, run the eggs under cold water for 30 seconds before peeling.
- While the eggs cook, toss the radicchio in the reserved teaspoon of lemon juice and a hefty pinch of salt. Slice the avocado.
- Divide pesto rice into two bowls. Equally divide the radicchio, avocado and feta between the bowls. Top each with an egg sliced in two. Serve immediately.
- If you can't find radicchio, use shredded red cabbage instead. You won't have that bitter bite, but you'll still get a nice crunch and bright color.
- Any kind of rice will work in this recipe. Simply cook 1 cup of rice according to package directions and proceed with the recipe as written.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||53 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||25 g|
|Dietary Fiber||16 g|