|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Combining fresh spinach leaves with tofu and Chinese dried mushrooms makes a warming soup that is loaded with health benefits. To turn into a vegetarian dish, replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
- 2 Chinese dried mushrooms
- 3 large fresh button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon oil for stir-frying
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon chili paste, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 block firm tofu, about 4 - 5 ounces, drained, cut into small cubes
- 2 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1. Soak Chinese dried mushrooms in hot water to cover for 20 to 30 minutes, until softened. Squeeze out excess water. Cut off the stems and discard. Cut the caps into thin slices. Wipe the fresh mushrooms with a damp cloth and thinly slice.
2. Heat oil in preheated wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic and chili paste. Stir for a few seconds, until aromatic, and add mushrooms. Stir-fry the mushrooms for about 2 minutes, stirring in the rice wine or dry sherry.
3. Add chicken broth, soy sauce, sugar, and pepper. Bring to boil uncovered. Add tofu and spinach leaves. Return to boil. Cook until spinach leaves turn bright green (2 to 3 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil.
Main Chinese Food Recipe File