Butter, shallots, and garlic flavor this fabulous dish of spinach and mushrooms. It's a surprisingly simple preparation, and it is a perfect way to use fresh spinach. Shredded or grated Parmesan cheese makes an excellent garnish.
Serve this elegant spinach as a side dish to just about any main dish meat, poultry, or seafood. It's especially good with grilled steaks.
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 pound spinach (about 2 bunches)
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 2 shallots (small to medium)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash freshly ground pepper
- Optional: 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (grated or shredded)
- Trim the stems from the spinach and wash the leaves thoroughly. Tear the leaves into small pieces.
- Clean the mushrooms by rinsing just briefly and wiping with paper towels. Remove the stems, if desired, and then slice them.
- Peel and mince the shallots.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter with the olive oil. Add the sliced mushrooms and shallots and cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender.
- Add the minced garlic, spinach, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook until the spinach is tender.
- Sprinkle with fresh shredded Parmesan cheese just before serving, if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|