- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- Optional: 1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Optional: 1/2 cup melted chocolate (for dipping)
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, dark corn syrup, and vinegar; cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar melts. Cook without stirring until mixture is very brittle when placed in cold water, about 300° F to 310° F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and add the baking soda. The mixture will foam, creating the spongy texture. Pour into a well-buttered pan. When the candy has hardened, break it into pieces.
- If desired, dip pieces in a purchased melted chocolate coating or the mixture below.
For the Dipping Chocolate (Optional):
- 1 cake paraffin wax
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
Melt wax and milk chocolate chips together in double boiler. Dip candy in the melted chocolate mixture. Place on parchment paper or wax paper to cool.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|